Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A tub bath for Brady--- NEVER again

Warning- this blog entry shows a little skin- so if you don't want to see what my inner upper thigh and ankle look like- then scroll on down to the next post. If you do want to see, be sure to scroll down after you read this anyway because I have the blogging bug lately- and I have been making multiple postings for the last few days.

Now, Brady has been itching like crazy cakes lately. Scratch scratch scratch. We haven't changed his food. I have a theory that involves little bug bites because I got a million the other day when I was "picking up the poo" all on my ankles. Anyway- we have been dealing with this for a little over a week. Benedryl, calls to Dr. Shane, frontline, baths, hydrocortisone spray, prayer, fussing, scratching for him so he didn't have to make that annoying scratching noise, you name it. Tonight, Mr. D. had a GREAT idea for us to give him a good old fashion tub bath. Brady usually takes showers. So, we went into the guest (Meghan's) bathroom. Brady wouldn't get in the tub. So, I got in the tub (with my pj's on of course) just to see if he would get in with me- with the plan that once he was comfortable I would get out and give him the bath. Well, in the bath tub- he had no traction and it freaked him out. So, he climbed on top of me for leverage and before I could get him off, all 87lbs of Brady were pressing into my skin via his back claws as he lunged over the tub wall. OOOOOHHHHHHHCCCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I knew it was bad because immediately before I could even look at it- I felt like I was going to vomit. Thank goodness I had pajama pants on-because if he had punctured my skin on my thigh it would have needed stitches. Here are the pics.

Needless to say, he didn't get the bath in the tub. I did give him a shower though. Then I said to Mr. D. "hey, since his nails are long and sharp- let's try that Pedi* thing." An hour of fighting with Brady later- I think I got may have gotten 1/32nd of one nail trimmed. I determined it was just not worth it. So, I offered it up to the neighbors next door with a little dog. I will be taking Brady to the vet for a nail trip.

3 comments:

Sandy D. said...

Mandy, I somehow lost your comment in my publishing of the comments. No, Dr. Shane is what I call my cousin who is a vet. I love him SO much!! He lived with us for a while during his internship and we had the best time. I told Paul he should have taking a pic of me in the tub in my PJ's. Too bad their won't be a next time. Thanks for reading. Hope you are enjoying it!

Meredith said...

I am shocked and impressed that you even TRIED to bathe and clip the toenails of a small pony.

Jackie said...

Sandy,
Thanks for asking me to comment again. When you were describing your episode, I could imagine the pain. When Dobby jumps up on my legs his nails HURT and he is a little dog. I know that must have really hurt. There would be no more washing Brady if he was mine. Hope the leg gets better.
Luv ya,
Jackie