Sunday, March 7, 2010

Sushi Sunday

I don't know why but yesterday the Mr. and I decided we could make our own sushi. We were flirting with the idea at Publix when the Publix sushi making lady came over and laughed at as. Well, that of course was like a personal challenge to Mr. D. and the next thing I know- making sushi became our mission in life. We bought a few ingredients and made the plan that tonight for dinner we would be eating sushi made by us. And we did. I set up a work area and began preparing the rice. This was actually a very lengthy process. I would say over an hour. While that was going on I prepared shrimp tempura, sliced avocado, and got everything ready. I set up my web cam.
We had made plans for Maggie and Shane to watch us make sushi. It was so fun! First I made a roll with cream cheese, avocado and shrimp tempura. I used too much rice, but I think that was the theme for the evening. I think there is a learning curve for getting the correct proportion of rice per roll. Anyway, Mr. D. made a roll next with shrimp tempura, spicy sauce, and salmon. My next roll I made had tempura, avocado, cream cheese and crab. Mr. D.'s next roll had spicy sauce, shrimp, crab and salmon. Here are our rolls.

My first sushi attempt
Mr. D.'s first sushi attempt


The sushi was good. I made way more than I could eat. I think the size of our rolls will get smaller with practice. This is definitely something we will do again.

3 comments:

momma said...

Yours look so much better than his!
What do you mean so lady laughed at you! Point her out and I will take care of her!

Meredith said...

Dude, I am SO impressed with your ambition.
Did you see Pioneer Woman's sushi weekend and the awesome gift packs they got? Drool.

Unknown said...

I think Sandy is the Asian in the family. Nice work