Thursday, June 11, 2009

Thursday 13: 13 Things I want to share with Kate about being an Aunt

Around 12:30 today, Kate became an aunt for the 1st time. We have been so excited because we were both getting nephews around the same time. Our other friend is getting a niece. So, here is my Thursday 13- Thirteen things I want to share with Kate about being an Aunt.


1) It is the best job you will ever have. I just love being with my nephew and niece. I can hardly wait to spend time with my upcoming nephew.





2) You will be amazed at all of the things that their parents say they can't have or can't do-- but they actually can have and do when they are with you. UMMMM- Meredith, maybe you should stop reading this. Oh- and Dawn too!! Stephanie- take notes!!
One of my fondest memories involves Donovan (around age 4)- who I think didn't eat his dinner or something and was told no more food until breakfast. I was spending the night at my Mom's and Donovan and I were in bed together. He said he was hungry- and VOILA! We were in the kitchen and I cooked him whatever it was he wanted in the middle of the night! (I think it was mashed potatoes). He sat on the counter while I cooked and we just chatted. Wait- did I just tell a big secret on my blog?? Did I mention how much that kid LOVED marshmallows after midnight?
3) Dress up. When I met Kaleigh for the first time she was just a few months old. I had bought her several outfits and I got to dress her up and take her pictures in each one. It was so much fun!







4) Getting cards in the mail address to Aunt Sandy. I just love it!! Oh and my heart just melts each year when I get a "To: Aunt Sandy" gift from the kids at Christmas time! It is my favorite gift of the year!









5) Being an Aunt- with my Aunt Patsy. Patsy is so very special to me and I just love being an Aunt with her. We talk about our niece and nephew. I learned from the best.







6) There will be a moment when you realize that they have realized that you are just a whole lot cooler than their parents- and that moment is AWESOME!






7) Did you know that I cook with Donovan every year and take pictures of us cooking? I am making a cookbook to give his wife as a wedding gift with the pictures in age order. I can hardly start waiting to cook with Kaleigh and Henry and do the same for them.







8) Sleepovers- while you NEVER get a good nights rest- the sleepovers are awesome! Oh- and there is nothing more fun that having to clean up gallons of water from the floor after you have given them a super fun bubble bath! I mean - it isn't like their parents would let them dive into the tub from the windowsill - right........ OK- I am totally kidding on that one!!






9) Everything you see at the store from this point forward will seem like a perfect gift for the baby! OH- and just WAIT until Christmas time!!

On a side note- my niece and nephew are coming home this year for Christmas- and naughty or nice- SANDY CLAUS and SANTA PAUL can't wait!
OH- and this year we will have Henry to spoil too! I can only imagine what we will be shipping to Durham. Can't wait!!





10) Story times, trips to the zoo, snow cones- everything is just more fun when you are spending time with them. Because I am a long distance Aunt- time when we are together- it is like Disney World every day! ... speaking of Disney--- SUMMER 2010 is right around the corner!








11) Spoiling like it is your JOB- You will be good at this! I love it too! Oh and the answer to "can I have this" is always YES!! I am sure Donovan thinks the word "no" does not even exist in my vocabulary!






12) Start thinking now of the new traditions you want to start! Last year I took Donovan on a one on one outing just the two of us. It was very nice spending time together without everyone else around. I can't wait to do this with Kaleigh and Henry too! While you will see your nephew a little more often that I do, I usually have once a year with Donovan and Kaleigh and will probably have once or twice a year with Henry. I try to make it as fun as I can for them, and for me as well. I feel I must make an impact that will help them to remember me until the next time as the super fun Aunt! But remember- spoil carefully, because their parents are going to be Aunts and Uncles to your kids someday and you know what they say about payback!



13) You will see that you have never loved anyone else before and will never love anyone else again the way you love this little one! Enjoy every minute of it!

6 comments:

Meredith said...

I love this so much. And Henry is a lucky little boy! :)

The Dales said...

Yes I can't wait to meet Henry too! And pay back shall be tough on THEM! HA!

AP said...

Just remember Sandy-

One day we will all be aunts to your new addition as well!

AP

momma said...

For the record I knew nothing about the mashed potatoes....now the marshmellows could be a different story but it was way before midnight when I feed them to him (along with bites of other really healthy foods) one day. I see nothing wrong with chicken and marshmellow, chicken noodle and marshmellow soup, marshmellow cheese burger and so on.... that makes me a super cool Nonnie...... seems I can remember a little boy and girl named Mike and Sandy that got to eat some really cool things also.

The Dales said...

Hey, I looked for you on FB to add you after you said you couldn't find me and I couldn't find you! haha, I think we are both lost! So, I changed my privacy settings and you should be able to find me if you search my name. I don't know why I couldn't find you, maybe you use a different name? ha, or you settings are where I can't find you.

Anonymous said...

Sandy,

This is beautiful. Being an aunt is the coolest . . . of course it helps that I have Tiffani for a neice. There's no love like it.

Shannon S.