Saturday, October 4, 2008

and then he said....

" when we go to Old Tyme Pottery tomorrow-- do you want to buy new dishes for the house"
Let's dissect this statement...
when WE go to Old Tyme Pottery--- We? I mean how many times have we all heard how OTP is like a torture chamber for him.
buy new dishes for the house--- My head was swimming-- is this a trick of some sort? I mean, yes I totally would love to feed my lately neglected addiction to the purchasing of dishes-- but is there a catch?? I think the conversation was inspired by my commenting on the lovely dishes at the sushi restaurant we went to with his cousin Lily last night. (We had an incredible time!!)

For those keeping score, please note the following...
I have 7 sets of dishes.
china (which we never use)
Fall Dishes (I TOTALLY need to get those down from the attic)
our "everyday" Pfaltzgraff from our wedding (rarely used)
our actual everyday- as in used everyday plates. They are Asian inspired stoneware which I hauled back from a trip to NC a few years ago.
Winter Dishes
Spring Dishes
Summer Dishes
Actually, 8 sets if you count the lovely chinet that I occasionally serve on.

Then the hammer swiftly dropped as he confessed his hate for the dishes we use every day. I even think I heard the word "ugly" - but I am not sure as I was in a state of complete and total shock. My head was swimming at the insanity of it all, and it still is.

I will keep you all posted on what happens when "we" go to the OTP today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait a minute! first-wasn't Mr.D the one who hauled those dishes from North Carolina? It seems I remember a a conversation concerning that and whether or not you could just get the dishes here.

Second - with *8* sets of dishes do you REALLY need to shop for more?

Third - did you count the Christmas dishes or forget about them?

Karen said...

I'm not sure I can handle the suspense much longer- post already!