Thursday, September 11, 2008

where were you?

I am curious as to where my readers were on September 11, 2001. If you feel comfortable, please share your memories of that day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was on an airplane headed for Las Vegas, but we only made it as far as St. Louis.

Anonymous said...

I was at work at the cullman Walmart*. A customer came in and asked why we didn't have the tvs on the news....I explained to her that they were on a feed from the home office....then she said, "don't you know what has happened.. A plane has crashed into one of the twin towers." Then a second customer spoke up and said a second plane had crashed into the other one. They think it was intentional crash...that was when the impact of what had happened really hit me....we were under attack....as soon as I could I left the sales floor and went to the breakroom to colect my thouhgts. One of my friends, a German lady who was 4 years old and was in Berlin, at the train station while it was being bombed. She appeared to be in shock...as I sat down she begin to speak. With a tremble in her voice she described a 4 year old, alone, hiding from the bombs and stepping over the dead, broken pieces of humans. As she came to the point where the bombs stopped a single tear rolled down her 60 plus year old face. That frightened child gave me insight to what might be happening to the people at the towers. As soon as I could get to a phone I called my children. I had to know they were ok. Then when I got home, your dad and I sat up most of the night watching the coverage. This was something I had never thought would happen in the United States... Where had the security of living safe and secure in the knowledge that no one would ever attack here. That was the first time I heard the name Bin Laden....

Meredith said...

First day of my senior year at Furman. Woke up and checked my email, where I had a message from Mom telling me what happened. I turned on the tv right as the second plane hit.

Anonymous said...

I was living in MA...about to go out the door to work which was just outside of Boston. I never made it. So many in the little town where I lived were killed that day in the towers. I can still see, in my mind, the huddle of people gathered around the city's flag...praying and crying.I was one of them.

AP