Sunday, September 21, 2008

tales from my weekend

I could give you 51 and a half reason not to go to the State Fair. I don't know why I thought it would be spectacular-- but it wasn't. We went with Kelly and Meghan. It was $5 to park. We each had to pay $8 to get in. This didn't include rides which would have been $20 each, but we passed on that. We looked at the animals, most of which were drastically underweight and miserable looking. We walked around. Meghan and Kelly each ate a hand-dipped corn dog at $3 each. Mr. D. had a funnel cake at $5. I had french fries at $3. Then for some reason Meghan and I each gave a quarter to a monkey. It was a pretty creepy experience. Pretty much we all spent the rest of the afternoon in shock at what a waste of our time and money it was. Thank goodness we had the Wii Fit to play to console us.

This morning I totally did something for myself. I made my favorite cookies. This is a rare event because I usually try to only make things that both Mr. D. and I eat. I have been wanting these cookies lately- so I just made some. Mr. D. tried them and reports "they are O.K.". They are super super yummy to me. Here is a picture and the recipe. The recipe made 35 cookies. I love how my kitchen bar looks like a little assembly line in this picture.

Boiled Cookies

Lay out waxed paper for the cookies before you begin.

In a saucepan combine 2 cups of sugar, 1/4 cup of cocoa, 1 stick of butter, 1/2 cup of milk.

Stir constantly over high heat and boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup peanut butter, and 2 tsp of vanilla.

Once peanut butter is melted, stir in 3 cups of quick oats. Stir and drop cookies on the waxed paper.

I like mine warm. Some people like pecans added- I don't. We plugged it into the weight watchers and it is 2 points per cookie. They are so yummy!!!


This afternoon, I went to a special little lady's birthday party.


Eden turned 7 with a "Luck of the Irish" party that looked like something straight out of Southern Living Magazine. I swear her mom should go into party planning. She thinks of a thousand little details that I would never even think of. The drink of choice was 7 up for the 7th birthday, there were Irish Dancers, Irish games and splashes of shamrocks everywhere. Oh- and for the Alice fans.....


She was spotted doing her favorite thing-- eating icing!!

I came home and Mr. D. cooked us dinner. We had pork tenderloin, mac and cheese and corn. I of course had cookies for dessert.

Mr. D. also washed, dried and folded all of the dirty laundry in the house today. He is such a great help around the house and I am so lucky to have him.

Now, if the Patriots could just get their act together....

3 comments:

Jackie said...

Oh My Gosh! I love those cookies! If I lived close I would have come over and helped you eat them. My problem is that once I start I can't stop till they are gone.

Anonymous said...

WOW! WHAT A DELIGHTFUL DAY YOU HAD..IT ALL SEEMS LIKE SOOOO MUCH FUNNNNN!

Anonymous said...

Okay girlfriend...those are like my fav cookies in the world. Someone I used to know in a past life...you know...made those cookies. Now that you have shared the recepie, I can make some with out having to call her. LOL!