Friday, August 17, 2007

making potato chips

Thursday night was our night to cook in Lake Tahoe. I took an inventory of what was in the house to try to use up anything that would be wasted since we were all leaving soon. I found a five pound bag of potatoes. So, I started talking to my cooking partner about how we should cook the potatoes. He suggested making potato chips. I went to my favorite recipe website www.allrecipes.com to see how difficult this would be. I found a recipe with 101 ratings averaging 4 1/2 out or 5 stars. I clicked on the recipe and found that they were made in a microwave. Skeptical, I cut up one potato and tried. They were very fresh and crispy. So, we decided to make them for the crowd. They were a big hit and dear readers, I suggest that you try it out for yourself. Everyone raved over them and there was not a chip left over.
Here is the recipe.

Microwave Potato Chips
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 potato, sliced paper thin (peel optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt, or pepper to taste (I used seasoning salt, next time I may use a ranch dressing mix)

Pour the vegetable oil into a plastic bag (a produce bag works well). Add the potato slices, and shake to coat. Coat a large dinner plate lightly with oil or cooking spray. Arrange potato slices in a single layer on the dish.
Cook in the microwave for 3 to 5 minutes, or until lightly browned (if not browned, they will not become crisp). Times will vary depending on the power of your microwave. Remove chips from plate, and toss with salt (or other seasonings). Let cool. Repeat process with the remaining potato slices. You will not need to keep oiling the plate

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yum! Can't wait to try this.