Sunday, February 15, 2009

pie crust-- 1st attempt

Tonight I have created a recipe and I am a little nervous about it. I wanted to make a pie crust because I have never made a pie crust. More than anything, I really want to be good at it. I have a Pampered Chef rolling pin and pastry mat. I thought I had everything I needed but then again I had no idea what went into a pie crust. I looked up a recipe online and it called for shortening- which I didn't have. So, I found a recipe that didn't call for it. It called for flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, butter and cold water. It said 3 tablespoons of water. Then the recipe said to add more if needed. Since I have never made a pie crust before so how in the world was I supposed to know if I needed to add more water. I put it in the plastic wrap and chilled it in the refrigerator for a few hours. When it was time I put the little mound of dough on the pastry mat. It crumbled to pieces. I guess it needed more water. I couldn't really roll it out so I just pressed it into the pie plate.
I cooked chicken in the crock pot all day and I shredded it. I heated up cream cheese and spread into the bottom of the crust. One top of that I added shredded chicken with sauteed onions and buffalo wing sauce all mixed together. I added cheddar cheese next. Then shredded chicken mixed with ranch dressing. I topped all of this off with a pieced together top pie crust. It is baking in the oven right now. While it isn't the prettiest thing, I am sure it is going to be delicious. I am making it my 2009 goal is to perfect my pastry making skills. Any and all advise is welcomed... AP??

No comments: