Saturday, February 7, 2009

never ever tell a Montessori child.....

..... sure, if it will fit in your wheelbarrow- I will buy it for you.
Yesterday, I brought Parker home for the afternoon. Everyone knows how much I love hanging out with the little sweetie. Well, our afternoon started off with an HOUR of sitting in traffic to drive the 15 miles home. I needed to stop at the grocery store to get some chocolate chips, sausage and eggs for my dinner. While we were on the way home I mentioned to Parker that it would be a great day to work in the yard. He said he wanted to help me and we talked about how when we got to the store we would buy him a little bucket and shovel so he could help me work. The shovel turned into a shovel and a little rake like shovel. Then we went to get the bucket and Parker became smitten kitten over this wheelbarrow. It was very inexpensive so I said sure. He pushed it all over the store with all of the little items in it. I also let him get a little dirt mover truck toy and I had picked up a packet of elephant ear bulbs. When we got to the chocolate chips, he insisted that I put it in his wheelbarrow. Then my sausage too. I had to convince him to let me carry my own eggs though! His load was getting pretty big and then he wanted a box of John Deere Tractor gummies. I said "if it will fit in your wheelbarrow- I will buy it for you." Then on the way to the check out- he saw a must have box of Kraft macaroni and cheese. He put it in. Right before the checkout there was a display of Ritz crackers. Now the cracker box was almost as big as the wheelbarrow. I told Parker I didn't think it would fit in his wheelbarrow and then the kid (making his Montessori teacher very proud) sat in the floor- took everything out of the wheelbarrow and rearranged it to make everything fit. Thank goodness we were at the checkout before he spied anything else he needed!! Haha. I love it. I had a great afternoon with the little guy!! When we got home he could hardly wait to work in the yard. He was such hard little worker and we had to keep working until it was nearly too dark to work anymore. He left his wheelbarrow and shovels over here- so he could help me again. He is welcome anytime!!
The only down side to the story is ... Someone forgot to take her allergy medicine before spending so much time in the yard- and that cough/sinus stuff is back!

No comments: