Thursday, January 1, 2009

the first dinner of 2009

A few days ago I watched the Oprah show about Gayle going around the country and trying sandwiches. One of the sandwiches they made was a beef brisket sandwich. The man on the show showed exactly how to make it at home. So- I did. Yesterday I picked up a beef brisket at Publix. It marinaded in red wine vinegar for 24 hours. Then today, I put it in my "Sunday Baker" (even thought it is Thursday). I call it the Sunday baker because anything I make in it takes a long time and so I usually only cook in it on a Sunday. Anyway, I put the brisket with a little water. On top I put onions and garlic that I had sauteed in butter. I covered it and it baked for 7 hours at 250. The brisket was very tender and falling apart, and oh-so yummo!! I made the sauce out of ketchup, brown sugar and molasses. I shredded the meat, covered in sauce and put it on a bun. We also had homemade crinkle cut potato chips (yes Tiffani! I finally found my crinkle cutter) and black eyed peas. It was yum yum yummy!!

No comments: