Saturday, January 5, 2008

my class

I rarely talk about my kids on the blog- but I am currently seeking some much needed advise. As many of you know I teach the 22 most amazing three, four, five and six year old children on the planet. They are getting a little antsy about wanting a new class pet. In an effort to avoid anything rat-like, we have been talking about getting a bird. A small, sweet, low maintenance, non biting fun bird (or maybe 2 if they are really small). Does anyone know anything about birds and have a suggestion of what we should get?

5 comments:

Keith said...

Have you seen the http://www.top10christmas.co.uk/talking_parrot.php
at Costco???

Anonymous said...

I've got an etsy shop! Thanks for your encouragement, sweet sis-in-law!

As for birds, our neighbors had one when we were growing up, and I was petrified of it. It was mean and tried to eat me when I fed him (while they were on vacation). I think it was a cockatiel. Other birds I've been around are great, though. Oh - and this one refused to die! It stayed around forEVER.

Jackie said...

Hey Sandy,
My mom had a sweet parakeet when I was young girl. It was a smart little bird but I am not sure all are friendly. I know you have to handle them a lot to make them friendly and comfortable with being handled. If the bird idea doesn't work out how about a tiny turtle? Jackie

Anonymous said...

We used to have a turtle (as a pet at home, not school) and it grew to be a pretty big turtle--not huge, but much bigger than we thought it would. And he once somehow escaped from his tank. . .we still haven't figured out how. . but can you imagine my surprise when I found him ALIVE a week later under the bed?? I vote for the bird. We need a new kind of pet down in the preschool :)

Anonymous said...

ok after a lot of thought...here is the perfect bird for your class....ready?
drum roll!
a fake bird....they sell them in the toy department....th you can use the sound machine to make the kids think they are read...oh and you have to tell the kids you already feed the birds..what a CARE FREE plan!