Monday, December 17, 2007

cake baking class

On Sunday, my good friend Roz had a few of us over to learn to make her "famous" peppermint cake. I always tease that just hearing about this cake is what made me want to work where I do. It is true- I heard about the cake long before I had this job. Here is a picture of the cake being featured on the front of the 1998 Southern Living Annual Recipes book.
The recipe was fairly simple. It called for 2 cake mixes- a white and a yellow, a million drops of red food coloring, buttermilk, eggs and a few other ingredients. You swirl the two mixes together and voila- a gorgeouse cake! The frosting was made of confectioner's sugar, butter, cream cheese and peppermint extract. I wanted to eat the entire bowl of frosting! Here is my nicely frosted cake waiting to be sprinkled with crushed peppermint. I sent it to my husband's work since the last thing I need is a whole yummy cake in the house.

7 comments:

Karen said...

what a beautiful cake

Tish said...

Wow. That cake looks fabulous!

Tiffani said...

how yummy! We should have a "cake swap". I love cakes.

Anonymous said...

Just a few questions

Did your friend come up with this cake and enter it to Southern Living or did she get it from the book?

Did you at least have one tiny slice of this great looking cake before you sent it away?

When will I get to try this cake?

Did you know granny makes a peppermint cake that has seven minute icing sprinkled with pepperment but I don't eat it because I really don't like seven minute icing?

I wonder if granny would like your cake or would she day ..... it's alright I guess if you like that kind of icing.....I like mine better...do you want me to write that receipt?

Jackie said...

WOW, What a super baker you are. If you only lived closer I would pay you to make me one! Jackie

Sandy D. said...

No- my friend didn't create the recipe- but she does make it each year! It was SO yummy. Yes- I will make it for Granny's house- if for no other reason that to hear her say "it's alright I guess if you like that kind of icing." FUNNY! It is totally what she will say!

Sandy D. said...

UPDATE- Dec. 25, 2007

Granny said "this cake is good but the icing is too rich for my blood"