Thursday, June 24, 2010

Thurday 13: Thirteen things from this week that I haven't had time to blog about..

.... and most of them are about food!
1) On Sunday, we had visitors at our house. They were Mr. D.'s Father, Step Mother and Brother. Here are a few pictures from that visit. I cut Mr. D. out of the above picture because he doesn't like being on the blog. It was their first visit to our home and we were excited for them to finally see it.

2) Since they were coming, I made their favorite lemonade. So, this week's lemonade attempt was actually Crystal Light Lemonade. What can I say- they love it and it was easy. Here is a picture of the snack that I had put out for their arrival.

3) Because we had our adoption home study on Saturday we were behind on our to do list for things we need to take care of on the weekend. I had offered to cook for Mr. D.'s family, but was told they preferred to go out. So, you can imagine my surprise when they walked in with a cooler full of seafood and beef for me to cook for dinner. Normally this would not be a problem, however we were literally down to a box of pasta salad mix and maybe a can of beans in the pantry. I simply had no sides to go with it. I had cheese tortelloni, but no sauce to put on it, you get the picture. We have been trying to eat what's in the freezer, refrigerator and cabinets for the past few weeks. We have not been to the grocery store in quite a while except to pick up a few things here and there. Fortunately they were very understanding. I offered to run to the store, but was turned down. We ate out and in the end it was all okay. I was horribly embarrassed as it is not like me to be unprepared for people to eat in my home. I mean here are three people who have never been to my house and I am sure they left with the impression that we have no food! Even as I tried to go to sleep that night I kept thinking- what could I have made with the two baked potatoes we had that would have been enough to feed 5 people. Anyway, they brought 2 steaks, a lot of shrimp, some oysters and a lot of tuna. We were fortunate that they left all of this behind and Mr. D. has eaten like a king all week! Phil, Becky and Boomer also brought with them the most amazing cake. It is now ranked 2nd just behind Cake Bites from Pastry Arts in the YUM! It's some famous cake from Knoxville that was incredibly delicious!!

4) Mr. D. installed under cabinet lighting!! It's amazing!! I have been wanting it for years!!

5) Mr. D. likes ahi tuna. He emailed me this recipe and I cooked the tuna for him.

5) We invited our neighbors over to eat. I was able to secure a little more food before their arrival! Parker and Caleb were excited because we have never eaten at the table before when they are here. We usually eat in the living room. Here is a picture of the cuties.

While we ate dinner, I let sweet Austin try out my Moses basket. He gave it a great review!
6) While the boys were here, they took a trip out to my garden. They just had to pick something, and I just had to say OK! Here is the bounty they found. On Tuesday, I fried up those green tomatoes for my dinner! 7) This train set was the best $10 Mr. D. and I ever spent! We bought it when Parker was 2 and they still play with it eagerly ever time!

8) On Tuesday, Mr. D. wanted me to cook shrimp for his dinner. I came home and peeled and deveined the shrimp. He said he wanted shrimp cocktail and this is the recipe that I found. I cooked 1/2 of the shrimp and fried oysters for him.

9) On Wednesday .... the ocean called...Mr. D. couldn't stop thinking of the shrimp for the night before and wanted me to make it again for dinner. So, I did!

10) I started working on a block project for a special little lady. More pics to come as the project progresses.
11) On Sunday, I planted pumpkin seed in the starter box. Here is what they looked like today.
I have always been told that you put out your pumpkin plants on the 4th of July. I am going to let the kids plant them at my Star Spangled (insert my last name here) Celebration. The same kids will be invited to our Halloween party and they can see how their pumpkin grew!
12) This has been an incredible week for us produce wise. They have started selling locally grown produce and such in the lobby of my school. How much more convenient can it get that that? This week I have purchased homemade salsa (made my our Junior Master Gardners club), green and purple beans, zucchini, blueberries and fresh cornmeal and grits. Also, our school garden had lots of okra this week. Ms. Courtney came down and fried up a mess for the children. We taste tested it. It was DE-LICIOUS!!! Don't worry, we taste tested fudge pops right after so anyone who found the okra less than delicious soon forgot about it!
13) Miss Rylee is ONE today!!! Happy Birthday Rylee Grace!!!

3 comments:

momma said...

Look little Ms Martha Stewart:
1. Your guest are well aware of the re-do going on in your home and are understanding of the need to get the food in the house to near Zero!
2. Your guest also had the option of having you cook and had they let you know ahead of time they were bringing uncooked seafood you could have had the sides in stock.
And knowing you "Little Martha" you would have whipped up a feast in a matter of minutes.
3. DO NOT be embarrassed: "They are family", and also if needed you have hundreds of people who will asure them as your guest that this is not your normal "hostess" presatation.
4. Don't sweat the small stuff!You have IGGER fish to fry! (pon intendend)

Meredith said...

Ooooooh, I bet it was the caramel cake! Yum!

Jackie said...

Glad you all had a nice time and they got to see your home. Don't give dinner another thought. The night they stopped here I fixed a shrimp pasta dish and realized while we were eating that there wasn't going to be enough so I had to get up during the meal and fix more. Oh and I forgot to serve the bread during the meal...ha ha ha P, B, & B made me feel so at ease and like it was no big deal which I appreciated and all was fine.