Wednesday, December 31, 2008

goodbye 2008

We will not miss you!!

2008 has been an emotionally exhausting year from us. There was sadness and drama at almost every turn. We cringe every time the phone rings. While bad things didn't necessarily happen to us, they happened around us and to people we care about. At one point I was convinced we were the curse to everyone we knew. Imagine the look on Mr. D.'s face when I told him I was adopting a soldier. He said "are you sure under the circumstances- that is in the soldier's best interest?" Luckily, that endeavor turned out OK. He is safe at home with his family. Whew! Adam and Erica should have thought twice about flying to Paris- but that one turned out OK too.. Whew!
This year has brought us:

1) the divorce of our friends
2) friends with broken hearts, lost loves and then new loves and more broken hearts and stress
3) tragic death of our dear friend's boyfriend
4) loss of a baby
5) cancer diagnosis, in multiple people
6) grandparents moving to assisted living situations
7) friend's with deaths in their families (I think 8 friends to be exact)
8) child's loss of his eye
9) friend's loss of job
10) friend's car being totalled
11) friend's baby born premature with multiple issues- the scariest of which was that she was allergic to breast milk and almost all formulas.
12) same baby having chronic UTI's and clogged tear ducts
13) emergency surgeries- 1 friend and 1 relatives with gallbladders removed. 1 surgery was routine and fine, the other ended up in ICU with a surgical error that could have proved fatal
14) an almost trip to the ER for Parker
15) my Mom's broken foot
16) my declining grandmother and grandfather
17) a friend's child with a seizure
18) death of a dear family friend
19) the plague of the tadpoles (this was tragic, annoying and did happen to us)
20) continued denial of medical benefits for our niece.
21) constant tornado warning and school closings
22) my crushed laptop
23) financial struggles for oh so many
So, goodbye and good riddance 2008.
I can't wait for 2009 because I just know it is going to be a wonderful year for all. Here's hoping!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

but alas with each of these sad events there was Mr. D and yourself with the loving huggs, kind words, kind hearts and the giving of yourselves to help each one through these times. I know that I myself had to call upon my children several times not only with my on medical issues but my dad as well and there you were with the helping hands and loving hearts. So I am sure I voice the thoughts of all when I say thankyou and much love to both of you.